Silver Tea Strainer - Adam Style
A silver tea strainer and drip cup in the style of the Adam brothers who were well known for their palladian designs. This silver tea strainer is double-handled and is handmade from a thick heavy gauge sterling silver.
If you take your tea seriously and use loose leaves rather than tea bags, then this silver tea strainer and drip cup is an essential. JA Campbell also make two other patterns of tea strainer, one with a turned maple wood handle from the 'Classic' collection and another from the 'Appetite' collection. This contemporary range also comprises a tea set, a tea caddy, a caddy spoon, butter dish, preserve bowl and cake stand.
Nice to collect, own, and use for afternoon tea or any time tea. Silver has become a modern, subtle status symbol. You can spoil yourself and buy one for your own use or as a special present for someone close. It is also very suitable as a silver wedding present, a birthday present, a corporate gift or incentive gift. It can also be made in gold or other precious metals.
This item is highly suitable for engraving to further personalize with a name, initials, logo or even a vessel's name. In the unlikely event of damage, JA Campbell provide a full repair service. You can be assured that all our products are made up to a standard, not down to a price. Nothing leaves the Brentwood workshop until Master Silversmith John Campbell is completely satisfied.
This sterling silver tea strainer is a pleasure to use today and a great investment to be handed down to future generations.
It is made in our Brentwood workshop from 5 main components, employing the 'spinning' method. This process has its roots in medieval times (see the Mildenhall plates in the British museum in London). It is a technique used for producing small to medium size batches of round, hollow objects from sheet silver.
Some 50 or so operations are needed to produce this item. The holes for straining are pierced using the 'photo etch' method. This is both neat and accurate. Two cast handles are now soldered to the main body. These have been produced using the 'lost wax' casting method. Upon completion of all the silversmithing operations, the strainer and drip cup are then punched with the maker's mark, JAC in a triangle, the initials of John Campbell. They are then sent to the Assay Office situated in Goldsmiths' Hall London. Here all the components are tested to ensure they are at least 92.5% pure silver. The remaining 7.5% of the standard silver alloy is pure copper. This has been found over the centuries to be the best additive to pure silver to make it harder and therefore more durable. Once a positive result has been received from the laboratory, the remaining hallmarks are then punched into the surface. This process is one of the oldest and best examples of consumer protection as the testing and punching are completely independent from the silver or goldsmith making the article.
The silver tea strainer is then returned to the workshop to have the small dents (caused by the punching) to be removed by 'planishing' and then it is polished. This polishing process is not only essential but also performs a quality control role as a different pair of eyes is cast over the object. Any faults or imperfections in the silver or from previous processes are then rectified at this stage. The polishing process uses 4 different grades of polishing compound. Upon completion of all the polishing stages, the item is ultrasonically cleaned, heated to drive away any moisture from hollow sections and finally packed into satin-lined presentation boxes.
As with most things in life your silver will need occasional cleaning. This does not need to be a chore and can be quite therapeutic. From as little as a quick wash-up to the occasional buff up with a soft clean duster to remove light tarnish and an occasional polish using silver cleaner such as Silvo or Goddards.
You can be assured that all
JA Campbell products are made up to a standard and not down to a price.
Engraving is a wonderful opportunity to personalize a gift. The addition of a minimum of initials, a name, a name and date, plus the occasion will cover most situations. More can be added, if required, such as a personal message.
Suggested position:On side of drip cup body
Recommended maximum characters: 180
For more information regarding our engraving services, which include hand, glass, heraldic and logo engraving, please click here, or telephone Colin or John Campbell on 01277 217829 to discuss.
Compose your personal engraving message after adding this product to your basket.